- In these listening tests you will hear tones, environmental sounds, music and speech. Each test should take about 5 minutes to complete. You can do several tests in a row, but please take breaks between the tests to avoid fatigue. You should finish taking all tests in one week. But you can do it on different days.
- If this is your first time taking these tests, it is better to take them in order from top to bottom. This will make it easier for you to follow the instructions for each test and you will also be able to compare your result with results from others who took the tests in the same order.
- Before taking these tests, please make sure you are in a quiet place and will not be interrupted.
- Please make sure that sound on your computer is turned on.
- You can restart the test if you have technical difficulties, but it will always start from the beginning.
- You can use a desktop computer, a laptop with an external mouse, or a tablet such as an IPAD but some functions might not work. Please do not use your smartphone to take the tests.
- You can use Chrome or Firefox browsers to take these tests. Some browsers, like Microsoft Edge, may not work well. If you are having trouble opening tests, please try it in a different browser.
- When you are prompted to enter your email at the beginning of each test, you may enter your email if you would like to receive test results or you can leave it blank and press Submit to continue the test.
- After taking each test, you can also compare your score to the average scores for a group of older normal-hearing adults (ONH) and a group of adults with cochlear implants (CI) shown next to each test group. These results are based on our prior research described in this study. When comparing your results, remember that these are averages and individual values tend to be lower or higher.
Note: The tests in the BASE battery are provided free of charge and with no warranty. Your test results are for information purposes only to be used at your own risk, and do not constitute medical advice or replace any other test recommended by an audiologist, an ENT doctor or another qualified medical professional.
Short electric whistles
ONH: 93%, CI: 89%
Long electric whistles
ONH: 90%, CI: 67%
Long electric whistles - Challenge
ONH: 78%, CI: 67%
Environmental sounds and music
Environmental sounds (Singles)
ONH: 95%, CI: 74%
Environmental sounds (Sequences)
ONH: 70%, CI: 60%
ONH: 98%, CI: 74%
ONH: 95%, CI: 64%
Speech in quiet
Man or woman
ONH: 100%, CI: 91%
Guess which emotion
ONH: 97%, CI: 78%
Sentences in quiet (single speakers)
ONH: 100%, CI: 98%
Sentences in quiet (different speaker)
ONH: 99%, CI: 88%
ONH: 97%, CI: 78%
ONH: 91%, CI: 75%
Speech in noise
Sentences in noise
ONH: 99%, CI: 77%
Sentences in noise - Challenge
ONH: 86%, CI: 64%
Digits in noise
ONH: 94%, CI: 55%
Digits in noise - Challenge
Which sentence does not make sense
ONH: 91%, CI: 52%
Support: Contact us if you are experiencing any difficulties with these tests and we will try to assist you when we can.